This recipe is great for when you have a bit more time to cook a meal, and you’re in the mood for some delicious flavourful pork 🔥
- 800g Pork Belly cut into 2 inch strips, de-skinned
- 1 teaspoon pepper corns
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- ½ Cup dark soy sauce
- ½ cup Chinese cooking wine
- ½ cup Big Rick’s with a Bite BBQ Sauce
- 2 star anise
- 2 cinnamon quills
- 6 cups of water
- 6 cloves garlic
- Bring some water to the boil in a large pot (enough to fully submerge all the pork). Once boiled, blanch pork belly strips in the water for 5 mins, then remove to cool slightly. Discard blanching water.
- Once cooled, cut pork strips into cubes, removing the fat from two cubes and setting that aside for cooking.
- Place a pan on medium heat, with the reserved pork fat and heat up until some fat is rendered out. Then place the pepper corns and chilli flakes into the pan, cooking for 3 mins until fragrant and some colour has released from the chilli flakes.
- Place the pork, soy sauce, Chinese cooking wine, Big Rick’s with a Bite BBQ Sauce, star anise, cinnamon quills and 6 cups of water into pot. Bring to a boil then braise pork by simmering on low with the lid cracked open for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour of simmering, stir and place the 6 cloves of garlic into the sauce, continue to simmer with lid cracked open for 1.5 hours until pork is completely tender.
- Once things are finished cooking, turn off heat and let pork cool down in the braising liquid – approx. 30 mins.
- Once pork is cool, remove from sauce and set aside. Strain the sauce to remove remains of the spices. Place the strained sauce into the pot again and turn on medium to high heat and reduce until slightly thickened.
- Once sauce is reduced, place pork back into the pot with the sauce to heat up again. Turn down to medium low heat and stir, heating the pork through and waiting until the sauce has thickened even more.
- Serve with rice and vegetables, topped with sesame seeds if desired.