A big-tasting twist on an Aussie classic – try our Smokin’ Sausage Sizzle, topped with delicious pickled onions!
- 125ml apple cider vinegar
- 125ml distilled white vinegar
- 100g granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 2 tsp celery seeds
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 small onion
- 1 small red onion
- 8 beef sausages
- 8 hot dog buns, split
- Big Rick’s BBQ Sauce, to serve
- In a large glass bowl, whisk together apple cider vinegar, distilled white vinegar, sugar, sea salt, celery seeds and chilli flakes until sugar and salt dissolve.
- Cut each onion into thin slices and add to the pickling liquid.
- Set aside at room temperature for 3 hours, occasionally stirring the mixture. Drain and set aside.
- Prepare the BBQ for direct cooking over medium heat, 180-230C.
- Cook sausages for around 5 minutes, turning occasionally, until lightly marked on the outside. While the sausages cook, toast the buns.
- Place a sausage in each bun, top with pickled onions and Big Rick’s BBQ Sauce.
Swap out the hot dog buns for gluten-free bread for a gluten-free alternative.