This recipe comes from Butcher’s Delight, and is sure to be a hit!
For the roast:
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3-4kg pork shoulder roast (skin off and diamond scored)
For special BBQ sauce:
- 1 bottle Big Rick’s BBQ Sauce (available at Butcher’s Delight)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tsp tabasco sauce
- Preheat the oven to about 120 degreen celsius. Combine all dry ingredients into a bowl and roughly mix through with your hands to make a dry rub.
- With the roast scored, take the spice mix and rub all over the pork and leave in the fridge overnight if time permits. If not, just do it prior to roasting.
- Either way take the pork out of the fridge and leave at room temp for 30 min before roasting. In a large pan heat 2 tbsp of oil on a medium heat and brown the pork all over. MMMM smell those flavours…..
- Wrap the pork nice and tight in 2-3 layers of foil and place in a roasting tray.
- Put in the over for about 4-5 hours depending on the size (45 min per 1/2 kg).
- Remove foil and leave roast in over for a further 30 minutes. Then take out of the oven and leave to rest.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine all sauce ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Pull the pork apart with a fork and serve with some delicious roast veggies or coleslaw, the BBQ sauce, a crusty roll, and a nice cold lager!!! Texas Style!!
For something classic, try serving on bread rolls with coleslaw. Or alternatively, serve with roast veggies for a hearty meal.