This delicious steak sandwich recipe is great for any occasion! Perfect for picnic lunches, or a day at the beach.
- 3 large onions, peeled and finely sliced
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 600-700g grilling beef steak
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tomatoes, thickly sliced
- 60g rocket, or other lettuce of choice
- Big Rick’s BBQ Sauce
- Turkish bread, or 4 buns of choice
- Over medium-low heat, melt butter. Add onions and mix to coat in the butter. Cover and leave for 20 minutes, occasionally stirring until golden. Add sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper. Cook for another 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Remove steak from the fridge 20 minutes before cooking. Seasons with salt and pepper.
- Over high heat, or a BBQ, heat oil. Cook steak as desired. Transfer to a plate and rest for 5-10 minutes before thinly slicing.
- Cut turkish bread in halves and toast. Spread with Big Rick’s BBQ Sauce, and add rocket, tomato, beef, caramelised onion, and any other toppings you like.
Use gluten-free buns or bread to make this recipe gluten-free! Try adding other toppings, such as mushrooms, capsicum, or avocado. Or try different sauce combinations, like mustard, aioli, or Big Rick’s Hot As BBQ Sauce for a bite!